Building a sustainable self-learning habit is one of the most valuable things you could do for your career in 2018! In a rapidly changing hiring landscape where industries grow and evolve everyday, it's important to have the skills and resources to keep up with the flow of new knowledge.
Here are some pro-tips to help you kick start your self-learning habit.
- Practical application is mandatory: Applying what you learn is essential to learning something properly. It's what'll land you a job.
- Learn what you love, learn what you hate: Understand what excites you. You'll find that time flies when you're exploring topics that interest you. At the same time, don't give up on the less sexy topics because it's important to balance out your skills.
- Explore and find diversity: The next thing you find might just be that one thing you end up doing for the rest of your life. But, chances are you'll never find it unless you explore. So diversify your learning - a good place to start is by watching TED talks about topics you normally wouldn't.
- Try different mediums: Some people learn the best by watching videos, others by reading books. If you're a person that spends a lot of time commuting then podcasts or books might be the way to go. Figure out what works for you and stick to it.
- Discuss and share your learning: Share the things you learn with friends, mentors and colleagues. If you're able to teach, you know you've got it. All this repetition is proven to improve learning.
Don't know where to start? Well that's what Alcamy is for! Discover something you'd like to learn in our library of community-curated topics and go educate yourself.